This recipe is adapted from a lovely experience that I had at my friend Pearl’s house!
I received a phone call on my way home from the airport that my friend was having a really rough day and a few of us were gathering at her house to support her. As soon as I walked through her front door, I was distracted by the delicious smell coming from the kitchen – a simple and easy meal Pearl had whipped up for her kids (because kids need to eat, even if momma is having a bad day…).
After visiting with her for a while, I decided to help myself to her dinner (the smell was just too tempting), and this meal has become one of my family’s absolute favorites! The combination of lemon and rosemary is warming and alluring, plus this meal is prepped in less than 10 minutes with another 15-18 of oven cooking – perfect for a quick weekday meal!
Note: a cast iron skillet makes this dish super easy cleanup, but if you don’t have one, use a regular skillet and simply transfer cooked chicken and juices to casserole dish before adding lemon and rosemary to place in oven.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1-2 packages chicken thighs (I love thighs because they are so forgiving! It’s really hard to overcook and dry them out. I have used both boneless/skinless and bone in/skin on – both work great!)
½-1 stick of butter
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
1-2 lemons, sliced moderately thinly
Salt and Pepper
Here’s what you’ll do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat ½ stick butter in cast iron skillet on medium high heat (if serving more than 4 people (or teenage boys) you may need two skillets).
Season tops of thighs with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Once butter is melted and skillet is hot, add thighs top-sidedown. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until meat is brown and crispy.
Flip each thigh over and turn off heat.
Nestle rosemary sprigs in between thighs and top each thigh with a slice of lemon.
Place skillet in oven and cook for 15-18 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
The dish is lovely with roasted asparagus or brussel sprouts!
Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- 1-2 packages chicken thighs
- 1/2-1 stick butter
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 lemons sliced moderately thinly
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1/2 stick butter in cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Season tops of thighs with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once butter is melted and skillet is hot, add thighs top-side down.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until meat is brown and crispy.
- Flip each thigh over and turn off heat.
- Nestle rosemary sprigs in between thighs and top each thigh with a slice of lemon.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for 15-18 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.